Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy is an extremely effective treatment used to treat a range of issues that occur in various areas of the body. The technology used to perform Shockwave Therapy allows us to achieve much quicker results when it comes to treating both new and chronic injuries.
We predominantly carry out Shockwave Therapy in our Waterloo Clinic, with our patient base ranging from runners suffering from Plantar Fasciitis to individuals with calcium deposits (Calcific Tendinitis) in the shoulder joint who want to avoid surgery.
Individuals that undergo surgery usually have months of rehabilitation ahead of them, while Shockwave Therapy is an alternative in which results can be seen after the first few sessions.
Your first Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy Treatment
Occasionally, some people are slightly wary about undergoing Shockwave Therapy at first, however, our team of experts here in Waterloo, Southwark can offer you all the information you need to know about the treatment to put your mind at ease.
Our expert team will guide you through every step of the treatment and continually work alongside you to ensure you receive the desired results; be it recovery or pain relief.
We have found Radial Shockwave Therapy to produce outstanding results when treating:
- Trigger Points
- Calcific Tendonitis on Shoulder
- Tennis Elbow or Golfer’s Elbow
- Bursitis (ie.: Trochanteric Bursitis)
- Piriformis Syndrome
- Tendinopathies (ie.: Runner’s Knee)
- Osgood Schlatter
- Shin Splints
- Plantar Fasciitis
PLEASE NOTE: EXTRACORPOREAL SHOCKWAVE THERAPY CANNOT BE USED TO TREAT ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION OR ANY VISCERAL-RELATED CONDITIONS.
What is Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy?
Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT) is one of the most advanced and highly effective non-invasive treatments for musculoskeletal disorders. The term shockwave refers to mechanical pressure pulses that stimulate the metabolism, enhance blood circulation and accelerate the healing process. It reboots the body’s inflammatory process in cases where the chronic inflammation has stagnated, becoming chronic. Through ESWT damaged tissue gradually regenerates and eventually heals. This non-invasive procedure is a breakthrough treatment option for a broad range of musculoskeletal conditions.
Benefits of Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy at CBR Clinics
- faster treatment results
- reboots body inflammatory process in chronic conditions
- accelerates healing process
- fewer complications and risks than other treatments
- high percentage of success rate
- long-term effects
- alternative to steroid injections and surgeries
Contraindications for Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy
ESWT is one of the safest treatments out there. The conditions which are contraindicated for Shockwave Therapy are:
- malignancies (cancer) in the treatment area
- metal implants in the treatment area
- breast implants or pacemakers
- blood clotting disorder (including thrombosis and haemophilia)
- having received a steroid injection within 6 weeks
- infection or skin abrasion in the treatment area
Side Effects of Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy
There is a small number of minor side effects individuals can experience when being treated with ESWT:
- redness can appear almost immediately after therapy in the treated area as blood flow increases
- some may experience pain in the treated area, (speak to your therapist before taking pain relief)
- swelling in the treated area
- petechia (red spots) in the treated area
- bruising in the treated area